Friday, January 4, 2013

Django Unchained Movie Review

So… I saw Django Unchained and I have to say, I enjoyed it immensely. Although Jamie Foxx's speech pattern was super inconsistent, Leonardo DiCaprio was genius, reminding me of why I love him in everything, as was Samuel L. Jackson. Sam was the perfect, self-loathing Uncle Tom- I swear I've run into the non-caricatured version of this same personality in my everyday... life (haven't we all). The score for the movie was awesome, but I always love Tarantino's soundtracks. He knows how to connect his audience with the emotion of the moment (what would “Kill Bill” be without those psychedelic fight scenes?) and he did that from start to finish.

I must say that the “n” word was used pretty liberally, but who can take such a period piece seriously without it? I haven’t seen “Lincoln,” but I’m guessing they probably don’t say the “n” word nearly enough in that movie to be anywhere near historically accurate, but who’s counting and who’s really expecting the solemn execution of a Tarantino film? I do understand how some people would take offense to the trivialization of the black American holocaust, but I think Tarantino was trying to create an entertaining movie about a fictional hero who did what we all secretly wished Kunta Kinte would have done- got on a horse and shot his way through as many slavemaster’s and oversees as necessary until found Kizzy.

By the way, the man I sat next to in the theater said he’d been watching the “Roots” miniseries all week long to prepare for this movie, but he’d have been just as prepared had he watched a combination of “Boyz in the Hood,” “Blazing Saddles,” and any Richard Pryor live comedy recording….

I know many folks will watch this movie and either love or hate it, but I loved it. And while Tarantino will face his usual criticism (Inglourious Basterds anyone?), I’m just glad that Tyler Perry is not making historical fiction, because "Madea Unchained" would have been the death of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment